Darker skin tones like the African American one have to be dealt with great care. These skin types are a bit different from the ordinary ones. These have special requirements which should be kept in mind while you apply makeup. If the requirements aren’t met, not only your makeup will chip off quickly but your skin will also be damaged.
Elaborated below are some of the very important and useful tips to be kept in mind while dealing with darker skin.
Basic requirements of darker skin tones
Let’s first highlight the basic requirements of African American skin type. This type is mostly similar to combination skin. It is very rich in melanin and tends to darken out. It also sometimes shows very extensive production of sweat and sebum.
Keeping these specifications in mind, there are few requirements that must be fulfilled. Firstly, this skin type should always be highly moisturized. Protection from sun should also be applied and multiple layers of makeup should not be applied.
Which products are a must have?
Talking about products that are a must have for African American skin type, here are a few enlisted.
As the skin is highly porous and tends to occlude, a good poreless primer should always be used.
Second important thing is a foundation. Due to the excess of melanin, the skin is sometimes very patchy and shows dark spots. Therefore, a foundation for African American skin should be carefully chosen and applied evenly. This will help in camouflage of the darker spots.
You should also have a good mineral powder which sets the makeup perfectly and won’t let it sweat out.
Finally, a makeup fixer which seals all the makeup in place is essential and highly recommended.
Things you should consider while buying makeup products
While buying your makeup products, there are few things you must consider.
Firstly, carefully read out all the ingredients. If there is any ingredient that is occlusive, do not buy such product otherwise it will worsen your breakouts.
Prefer using the product that is moisturising and nourishing. In this way, your skin’s deficiencies will be reduced.
Makeup that is organic in nature is the best and suits all skin types. It is better if you also choose such makeup products for you.
Tips for an ideal makeup routine
For getting the perfect makeup look, you should follow the following tips.
- Firstly, make sure you have applied a good sunscreen before putting on makeup. This will keep all the harmful radiations away from your skin.
- Now before moving on to the actual makeup, make sure your skin is completely free from any impurities. You can try out the best face toner for black skin for this purpose. Apply it using some cotton and wipe off all the trapped dirt and grime.
- Then move on to the foundation. Use a high coverage foundation that builds up and covers every single facial cell. Don’t miss out even a single dark spot.
- Set your foundation using a high quality mineral powder. It can be loose or compact as per your preferences. If you are using loose powder, let it sit for some time before you brush off the excess.
- Go for light but vibrant tones of blush on, eye shadows and lip colors. According to the event, you can go for darker or lighter shades.
- Be very generous in applying highlighter. It looks very attractive on darker skin tones.
African American skin type comprises darker than usual tones. These demand specific care while applying makeup. The presence of excessive pigments makes it hard sometimes to get an even and smooth makeup look. For this purpose, you need to follow our suggestions and ideas while buying makeup products and applying them. It will significantly reduce your worries.